Over the years Webster County has made its mark in the history books and has accumulated a number of historical landmarks throughout the region. For visiting and local history buffs, here’s our list of unmissable history spots to check out in Webster County.
Mollohan Mill – Built by Bernard Mollohan in 1894 on the bank of the Holly River, the Mollohan Mill operated from November 23, 1984 to 1953 until its dam and water wheel was destroyed in a flood. Otherwise, today the Mill can be seen with its original equipment intact. The Mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Webster Springs Hotel – With over 100 guest rooms and at 4-stories, the Webster Springs Hotel was known to locals as the “big hotel” back in the early 1900’s. Boasting all of the modern amenities of the time, it featured electric lights, telephone, telegraph, and the first elevator in the state. The Webster Springs Hotel was nationally renowned to vacationers until it fell to its demise on July 20, 1925, most likely caused by an electrical fire or defective flu.
Webster Springs Railroad Depot – The Webster Springs Railroad Depot served Webster Springs for freight and passenger service from the early to mid-1900’s and was later used for various commercial and community purposes. In 2010, the property was purchased by the Town of Addison (Webster Springs) and the exterior was renovated to meet historical guidelines.
Camp Caesar – Established in 1922 by local members of the Farm Bureau and the Webster County extension agent, Camp Caesar is one of Webster’s well known historic sites. Expansions to Camp Caesar began during the 1920’s including an assembly hall, a council circle, a dining hall and a home for the camp caretaker. Later on, after the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration constructed several stone cottages, a pool & pool house, walkways, retaining walls and other additional features. Camp Caesar is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Salt Sulphur Well & Veterans Memorial – During the late 1800’s salt sulphur springs drew thousands of visitors to Webster Springs each year. The water was thought to be beneficial for ills of the liver, stomach, kidneys and bladder and were sought for both health and luxury. One well remains, at the corner of Court Square. The 120-foot-deep well was drilled at this location in 1937. The well house was named as a Veteran’s Memorial in 1938, to honor those of Webster County who served in the military. In 2001, the old well house memorial was renovated and a new veteran’s wall was erected.
Morton Mansion – The Morton Mansion, designed by Senator E. H. Morton took three years to build and was known as the first home to have electricity in the county. Finished in 1912, another interesting component to the house’s fame was each room having a different type of native wood in its interior. The Morton Mansion played host to many important visitors throughout the years, including political meetings and dinners. The mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lowther’s Store – The Lowther’s Store is a historic general store that was the oldest continuous operating business in Webster County. Built around 1900 near the former town of Wheeler, the Lowther Store is also known as the John A. Hinkle and Son Store. The building is a one-story rectangular, wood-frame building with a foundation of field stones and posts. The Store is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
McLaughlin House – One of three physicians in Webster County, Dr. John McLaughlin was known as highly skilled in his profession. His home was built in 1894 and the small building in front of the house was used as his office.
Coal Block – Commemorating Webster County’s history of mining, the coal block was placed in Webster Springs to recognize the economic importance of coal throughout the years.