In the late 1800’s to early 1900’s, salt sulphur springs drew thousands of visitors to Webster Springs each year. The water, highly impregnated with hydrogen sulfide gas, were thought to be beneficial for ills of the liver, stomach, kidneys and bladder and were sought for both health and luxury.
One well remains, at the corner of Court Square. The 120 foot deep well was drilled at this location in 1937. The US Secretary of War dedicated this well house as a Veteran’s Memorial at the 1938 Rhododendron Festival, to honor those of Webster County who served in the military. In 2001, the old well house memorial was renovated and a new veteran’s wall was erected.
Webster Springs, West Virginia 26288